Call for Papers: Open Sessions
Cataloguing Section joint with Information Technology Section
"Let´s make IT usable! Formats, systems and users"
IFLA Cataloguing Section and IFLA Information Technology Section (IT) invite you to submit a proposal for their joint open session at the 82nd IFLA General Conference and Assembly to be held in Columbus, Ohio, USA 13-19 August 2016.
The session is entitled “Let´s make IT usable! Formats, systems and users”. It is focused on the use of IT to mediate the independent development of cataloguing rules, exchange formats, and cataloguing systems used in libraries, so that data based on these standards can satisfy user needs through interaction with related data produced in other communities such as archives, museums, and publishers.
The planning group is inviting contributions on:
- how IT systems can function as mediators between cataloguing rules, cataloguers, and the data they produce
- cooperation between the different library communities responsible for cataloguing rules, systems and bibliographic exchange formats, in service of user needs
- interactions between data produced by libraries and related data from other communities
- future requirements on cataloguing systems
- other aspects on data creation and curation
The session will start with a key note, which will be followed by a selection of presentations of papers. Also some time will be left out for free discussion with the audience.
- The deadline for submitting a detailed abstract in English (400 words) and author details is 29 February 2016. Selection of papers is based on the abstract, and authors will be notified whether they have been successful by March 2016.
- The full paper is due early May 2016 and must be an original submission not presented or published elsewhere. All papers presented must be available under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license; authors of submitted papers have to sign Authors’ Permission Form which formalises this. All papers presented will be made available through IFLA library in advance.
A final version of the paper, incorporating new insights gained during the presentation can be submitted for publication shortly after the conference.
- Both abstract and full text papers should be submitted in a Word file by e-mail to the addresses given below.
- Each abstract will be reviewed by a programme committee appointed by the Standing committees of the Cataloguing section and the IT section. The planning group reserves the right to ask applicants to make small adjustments to the shape of their papers to support the needs of the program.
- Papers should be between 8-12 pages, double spaced and include an abstract.
- Papers should be in one of the official IFLA languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian, Spanish)
- Approximately 30 minutes will be allowed for a summary delivery of the paper in the conference (including questions). The full written paper is not to be read. The presentation shall be made in an official IFLA language but the presenter doesn’t need to be the author.
- The author(s) should indicate his/her personal full contact details and a brief biographical note (no more than 50 words) when submitting the abstract. When submitting the full paper, include information about who will be presenting the paper and in which language.
- Please note that all expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Please send your abstract by 29 February 2016 to:
Chair of the IFLA Cataloguing Section
Chair of the IFLA IT Section
29 February 2016: Submission of abstract;
March 2016: Notification to authors;
May 2016: Submission of full text.
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Columbus, Ohio. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage.