Call for Papers: Satellite Meetings
32nd Pre-Conference of the Library and Research Services for Parliaments Section
"Delivering parliamentary library and research services in an interconnected world"
Delivering parliamentary library and research services in an interconnected world
10 – 12 August 2016
Library of Congress, Washington D.C, USA
The Library and Research Services for Parliaments Section invite proposals for presentations at the Pre-Conference to be held at the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., from 10 to 12 August 2016.
The world’s parliamentarians need tailored information and analysis to do their legislative and policy work, as well as communicating with citizens. In today’s interconnected world parliamentarians additionally expect access to this information at any time, from any device, and in a format that allows re-usage. The pre-conference will focus on how parliamentary libraries, research and information services have risen to the occasion to meet these changing needs and expectations.
We welcome proposals on the following topics of interest:
- Designing information products to meet parliamentarians needs, and facilitate re-use to support communication and engagement with the general public
- Innovative use of technology to deliver client services, in particular to accommodate multiple languages, geographical locations, content formats (such as open data), and types of devices
- Creating content that can be re-used in different types of information products, for example tables or charts for use in multiple reports or in posters, or combining chapters into a customized report
- Examples or case studies of effective collaboration with internal or external partners to develop new products and services
- Integrating library materials and digital content from multiple sources to facilitate discovery or creation of personalised information
Highly engaging papers with a knowledge sharing and practical focus will be selected, as well as encouraging innovative thinking in parliamentary libraries, research and information services.
How to submit a proposal
Please send an abstract (1 page or about 300 words), in English, French or Spanish, of the proposed paper to:
Chair, IFLA Section on Library and Research Services for Parliaments
Secretary, IFLA Section on Library and Research Services for Parliaments
Please use as subject heading of your email:“IFLAParl-Pre-Conference-2016″ followed by your name.
Proposals should include:
- Title of proposed presentation
- Abstract of proposed paper (no more than 300 words)
- Name(s) of presenter(s) and position or title
- Employer / Institution
- Contact information including e-mail address, telephone number
- Short biographical statement of presenter(s)
- Language of final presentation
Presenters will have 15 minutes each to deliver their papers.
Language of the session:
- Papers should be delivered in English, French or Spanish.
- Abstracts can be in English, French, or Spanish
- 31 March 2016: Deadline to submit proposals/abstracts
- 15 April 2016: Proposals will be reviewed by a team of members of the Standing Committee of the Section and successful proposals will be identified. Details regarding the format and length of the final paper will be sent to candidates whose abstracts are accepted
- 30 June 2016: Deadline for selected presenters to submit formal papers
Activities of the Section at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2016 in Columbus, Ohio (13-19 August, 2016);
- Open individual session of the Section: Meeting the needs of parliamentary clients: a knowledge sharing session. The call for papers for this session can be found at: https://2016.ifla.org/cfp-calls/library-and-research-services-for-parliaments-section
- Joint session with Law Libraries Section: Privacy Law in the Digital Age: Governments Rethink the Meaning of Information Access Policies
- Joint session with Government Libraries Section: Government and Parliamentary Libraries as innovators: supporting communities of practice. The call for papers for this session can be found at: https://2016.ifla.org/cfp-calls/government-libraries-joint-with-library-research-services-for-parliaments-sections
- Joint session with Knowledge Management Section and Continuing Professional Development and Workplace Learning Section: Continuous learning in libraries and their communities (knowledge café)
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program of the Satellite meeting.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses for attending the Satellite meeting (travel, accommodation, etc.) are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA.
Registration and other information will be made available on the Satellite conference’s website.
An official invitation letter for the satellite meeting can be requested to the Chair of the Section Lillian Gassie: email@example.com
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage.