Call for Papers: Satellite Meetings
Cataloguing Section joint with Serials and Other Continuing Resources Section
"RDA in the Wider World"
11 August 2016
OCLC, Dublin, OH, USA
Committee of Principals/Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA
The Satellite Meeting will take place on 11 August 2016 in Dublin, Ohio, USA, and is kindly hosted by OCLC. The event is in conjunction with the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Columbus, Ohio, USA, 13-19 August 2016.
So far the planning includes:
Resource Description and Access (RDA), the replacement for AACR, has been the standard in many institutions for several years now. The intention is for RDA to serve widely as an international descriptive standard.
Among the issues to be addressed are:
- What impact does this international vision have on the governance structure of RDA?
- How has RDA been received outside Anglophone communities?
- How does RDA work in harmony with other international standards?
- How does RDA deal with treat such specific areas as serials and continuing resources, music, and audiovisual materials.
We plan to have a mix of both invited speakers and a call for presentations.
Further information including details about registration, price, etc., will be announced later in 2016, but please save the date.
Call for presentations
We invite contributions on the following topics:
- RDA implementation in non-Anglophone communities.
- RDA and international standards, including the IFLA standards, CIDOC-CRM, terminologies, etc.
- RDA applied to such resources as archival and rare materials and museum and other cultural heritage resources.
- The deadline for submitting a detailed abstract in English (400 words) and author details is 29 February 2016. Selection of presentations is based on the abstract, and authors will be notified whether they have been successful by March 2016.
- The author can choose to deliver both a paper and a presentation or a presentation alone.
Papers are due in early May 2016 and must be original submissions not presented or published elsewhere. All papers that are presented at the WLIC 2016 will be made available online via the IFLA Library under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license; authors of submitted papers have to sign IFLA’s Authors’ Permission Form which formalises this. All papers presented will be made available in advance. Presentations are due at August 1 and will be made available after August 11.
- Both an abstract and the full text paper should be submitted in a Word file by e-mail.
- Each abstract will be reviewed by a programme committee appointed by the Standing committees of the Cataloguing Section and the Serials and Other Continuing Resources Section as well as the RDA Steering Committee. The planning group reserves the right to ask applicants to make small adjustments to their papers to support the needs of the programme.
- Papers should be between 8 and 12 pages, double spaced, and include an abstract.
- Papers should be in one of the official IFLA languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian, or Spanish.
- Approximately 25 minutes will be allowed for presentations during the meeting, including questions. A full written paper is not to be read. The presentation shall be made in an official IFLA language but the presenter does not need to be the author.
- The author(s) should include his/her personal full contact details and a brief biographical note of no more than 50 words when submitting the abstract as well as information about who will make the presentation and in which language.
- Please note that all expenses, including travel, accommodations, etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation can be issued to authors.
Please send your abstract by 29 February 2016 to:
Hanne Hørl Hansen
|29 February 2016||Submission of abstracts|
|March 2016||Notification of acceptance|
|Early May 2016||Submission of paper|
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program of the Satellite Meeting.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage.